The day I mastered my first Spanish tortilla I nearly cried! I kid you not. No runny middle, no burned bottom (ouch!) and no biting into raw potato. Now on high rotation in all MamaBake HQ meal planning, we hope you enjoy!
2 large waxy potatoes
½ cup olive oil plus 3 tablespoons
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large shallow pan.
- Thinly slice the onion and add to the pan, cook until the onion is dark brown in colour, soft and caramelised which takes about 30 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan heat the remaining oil. Slice potatoes to about ½ centimetre width. Cook in the pan on medium-high for a few minutes and then reduce to medium for 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender but not coloured.
- Drain potatoes and set aside.
- Beat the 8 eggs lightly with a fork.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the pan on medium heat.. Add the egg, and then scatter in the potatoes and onion.
- Lift the edges of the tortilla with a spatula and tilt the pan to allow the uncooked egg mixture to run underneath.
- Cook until the bottom and edges of the tortilla are set but the centre should be runny.
- Using a plate larger than the pan, place it over the top and swiftly invert the tortilla onto the plate. Place the pan back on the heat and gently slide the tortilla into the pan so the topside can cook until just set, 2-3 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve with a green salad.