Give spaghetti bolognese a rest this week and try our twist on a classic pasta carbonara!
(serves 4 to 6)
5 egg yolks
½ cup cream
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
5 rashers thick cut bacon
1 large leek
500g pasta, either long noodles or short pasta is fine
1/2 cup reserved pasta water
salt and pepper.
- Finely slice the leek and chop and dice the bacon. In a shallow pan, sauté the leek and bacon together until the bacon is crisp and the leek softened.
- Meanwhile fill a large pot with water and bring it to the boil.
- Beat the egg yolks, cream and ½ the parmesan. You can do this in one of the bowls you intend to serve the pasta in.
- Cook the pasta as per instructions, reserving ½ cup of starchy pasta water.
- Drain the pasta and then immediately place back into the cooking pot, but not on heat.
- Add the bacon and leek, pasta water and the egg mixture and stir through to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle on more parmesan and serve immediately.