A must have for the Summer BBQ, cornbread is perfect for sopping up gravy, salad dressings or just sliced and eaten with lashings of butter. We like to make ours extra special with fresh corn stripped from the cob folded into the batter before baking.
1 1/2 cups cornmeal or fine polenta
1 1/2 cups of plain flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
20 grams butter, melted
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup of natural or Greek yogurt
2 ears of fresh corn (or a can of drained canned corn kernels)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celcius. Grease 20cm x 20cm or equivalent baking dish or pan. Whisk together the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl
- Cut the corn kernels from the cob.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the butter, milk and yogurt. Crack in an egg one at a time and beat thoroughly to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Fold in corn kernels. Scrape batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until the centre is cooked.
- Cool before removing from dish or cutting into serves.