Gotta love a frittata recipe with an extra twist to make it a little bit special! Christmas need not be all about big meaty dishes (as you will well know if you are Vegetarian or Vegan!); often what the Christmas table needs is a beautiful dish that celebrates the myriad flavours of fruits and vegetables, which are in particularly wonderful condition for our Australian Summer Christmas.
The best part about this frittata recipe is that it can be made-ahead of the big event. Simply bake before you want to serve, or bake, cool and freeze the day you make it, and then defrost and reheat on serving day. It couldn’t be simpler!
This recipe will serve 4-6. To serve more people, make 1 ½ or 2 times the recipe, but ensure not to make dishes physically larger than the recipes dictate as this changes the cooking time and consistency significantly.
4 large waxy potatoes
12 spring onions
4 sprigs thyme
150g goat cheese
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Peel and finely slice the potatoes. Remove the roots and finely slice 7 of the spring onions, leaving the other 5 long. Strip the thyme leaves and finely chop, discarding the stalks.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large, heavy based, oven proof pan on medium heat. Add the oil and make sure the surface is evenly coated.
- Cook the potatoes until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the eggs, make sure they are distributed evenly. Sprinkle over spring onions. Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle crumbled goats cheese over the frittata and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Slide the frittata from the pan onto a plate and allow to cool.
- Will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge or one month in the freezer, if well wrapped.
- To reheat, slide frittata onto a lightly greased baking sheet and place in a 170 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until a little crisp and warmed through.
- Cut reserved spring onions into long thin strips and sprinkle over as a garnish. Cut into wedges and serve.