Family dinners can be a little bit like feeding time at London Zoo, so why not take out the chaos of it all and lay everything out, Tapas style, and let everyone serve themselves = no battles and adults are not required (oh hey, Netflixbingesessions).
Serve the following Family Mexican Feast on large tortillas (or large lettuce leaves if you’re avoiding the deadly breadly) OR greaseproof paper squares OR newspaper (we’ll leave the options there, things could get out of hand), so you can do away with plates and washing up anything extra. Pop the guac and the chilli sauce straight into a wide mouthed jar or container once you’ve prepped them, and chuck ’em on the table.
For maximum chill, we’d make this lot up on the Friday so the kids can lay it all out on the table Saturday evening = no dinner prep, barely, at all. Gotta love that.
2 large chicken breasts
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Combine the paprika, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Split the chicken breasts in half, coat each piece with the spice mixture.
- Wrap the meat in a large piece of foil and make sure it is completely sealed.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes until completely tender and then shred with 2 forks. Set aside. Can be prepared 3 days in advance.
2 large ripe avocados
1 lime, juiced
Salt and pepper.
- Skin, seed and mash the avocados.
- Dress with lime juice, a little salt and pepper and mash further until smooth. Season further to taste. Should be prepared day of serving.
Tomato Chilli Sauce
2 tins crushed tomatoes
1 large red chilli
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan combine the tinned tomatoes, whole chili, sugar.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tomatoes have reduced to 3/4 quantity.
- Season to taste. Can be prepared 5 days in advance.
Also, add some fresh green lettuce leaves, ripped coriander leaves, grated cheese, sour cream and fresh diced tomatoes.