Black Bean burgers (GF and vegan)
These are utterly delicious and very satisfying. Great for school and work lunch boxes as well as a hearty dinner for the family.
1 red capsicum
1 large chilli
2 garlic cloves
2 cups of cooked black beans
½ cup cooked quinoa
¼ cup gluten free flour
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
4 tablespoons olive oil
- Finely dice onion, red capsicum and finely chop chilli and garlic cloves.
- In a large pan, add a tablespoon of oil and sauté the diced vegetables until soft.
- In a large bowl, mash the cooked black beans with a potato masher (this is easier to do when they are hot) or puree in a food processor.
- Add the spices and the cooked vegetables and stir or pulse in the food processor to combine. Obviously you will get more chunky burgers doing it by hand and smoother burgers in the food processor.
- If using food processor, scoop out mixture into a large bowl. Add the cooked quinoa and gluten free flour and stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture into 10 balls and dust with more GF flour. Flatten them gently until they are about 2cm thick.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in the large heavy pan and cook for about 7 minutes on each side, or until both are browned and crisp. Serve immediately.