This classic 3 ingredient fruit cake recipe uses minimal ingredients, and has wonderful flavour and texture. The method is simple and the results are both surprising and delicious.
This recipe is excellent if you’re on a budget and need to knock up a simple and tasty cake quickly. Great for Christmas gifts or as an afternoon tea for the kids throughout the year.
Recommended to eat with a classic black and white film and a very strong cup of tea; with feet up.
*3 Ingredient Fruit Cake Recipe*
1 kg mixed dried fruit
2 1/2 cups cold coffee or tea (without milk)
2 cups self-raising flour
- In a small saucepan, add the dried fruit mixture and top with 2 cups of the coffee or tea. Bring this to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Allow to cool and soak for at least 2 hours
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Line a 20cm round cake tin or equivalent with greased baking paper.
- Sift the flour into the fruit and stir to combine. If the mixture is too dry, add the remaining coffee/tea.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 2 hours on the middle or lowest shelf.
- Cool completely before removing from tin and slicing.
- Will keep for up to one week in an air tight container.