As a child I was addicted to frozen chips which could be blasted in the oven for a half hour to achieve delicious oily, potato goodness at home. My guaranteed clean-the-plate lunch or dinner would be a couple of pan fried pieces of chicken tenders and a handful of potato gems, those little fried nuggets of potato flakes. But being the sort of parent who tries very hard to pretend they were not a complete rat-bag as a child in order to encourage their own child to greater and better eating-habits, this is not something I allow my eldest boy to indulge in. But he, like so many children, loves anything fried and anything potato. So I made these for him. Admittedly more complicated than just frying potatoes in oil, but far more wholesome, filling and something I’m willing for him to eat as a meal on its own, accompanied by carrot sticks.
4 large potatoes
½ head cauliflower
¾ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup Greek yogurt
½ cup parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Take your potatoes and stick them all over with a fork before placing on the oven rack. Bake until soft, for about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cut the cauliflower into 10 pieces. In a small saucepan, bring water to the boil and add cauliflower. Cook until tender. Mash the cauliflower.
- Scoop the potato flesh from the skins. Don’t discard the skins. These are ridiculously tasty. When I last made these, I stuffed the skins with some grated cheese, tomato and avocado.
- Combine the potato with the mashed cauliflower, breadcrumbs, yogurt, parmesan and salt and pepper.
- Add the eggs and mix in till just combined.
- In a large heavy based pot add 3cm of neutral oil and place on medium heat. The oil is hot enough when a drop of the mixture is quickly surrounded by a ring of bubbles.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop portions of potato mixture and scrape off the spoon into the oil with another spoon or a spatula. Fry on each side for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Continue to cook until mixture is cooked. Serve immediately.