By Michelle Shearer
A classic and so wonderful on cold, cool autumn evenings. The kids just love this served with lashings of cream. It doesn’t last long. If you have any of the stewed fruit leftover store it in a jar in the fridge and use it for yoghurt in the week in school lunch boxes. Or serve on porridge in the mornings with cream. Or, make two crumbles and take it over to your neighbour.
Stewed Apples & Raspberries: Ingredients
1.5 kg apples, peeled and sliced
2 cups frozen raspberries
2 tspns cinnamon
2 tbspns water.
Stewed Apples & Raspberries: Method
- Stir everything together in a large saucepan, except the raspberries, and cover.
- Pop the pot on a very low heat and cook for about 20/30 minutes or until the apple slices are tender.
- When done, throw in the raspberries and re-cover. Leave to one side. When cool, pick out the cloves.
Healthier Crumble: Ingredients
1 cup flour
2 cups oats
1/2 cup flaked/desiccated coconut
1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tspns cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a pudding bowl/dish.
- In a large mixing bowl measure in the flour and rub in the butter until you have a breadcrumb-like texture. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- In the bottom of the pudding bowl, pour the fruit mixture and cover well with the crumble mixture.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- It can be very hot when it comes out of the oven so be sure to cool before serving to wee kids.