This is just delectable : pure comfort, treat-y weekend fare and a dead-set hit with the children. A big batch dinner recipe so you can stash some away for a weekend further down the track when you just want a break from cooking.
An excellent offering at any MamaBake session.
6 tbspns peanut oil
3kg chicken thigh fillets, quartered or halved
6 tspns garam masala
5 tspns sweet paprika
6 tspns ground coriander
3 tbspns fresh ginger, finely chopped
3/4 tspn tspn chilli powder
3 cinnamon sticks
18 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
1kg passata (pureed tomatoes)
3 tbspns sugar
3/4 cup plain yoghurt
1.5 cups cream
3 tbspns lemon juice.
1. Heat a wok ‘til hot, add half the oil and coat the pan.
2. Add the thighs in batches and stir fry until browned (add extra oil as required). Remove.
3. Reduce the heat and add the ghee/butter until melted.
4. Add the garam masala, sweet paprika, coriander, ginger, chilli powder, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods and stir fry until the fragrance fills the kitchen (about one minute).
5. Return the chicken to the wok and coat in the spices for about one minute.4 MamaBake’s Big Batch Basics Recipe Book
6. Add the passata and sugar and simmer stirring for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened.
7. Add the yoghurt, cream and juice and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Serve with rice or naan breads.
*Note: add a couple of handfuls of chopped vegetables at point 6 to make it go further and to add some extra goodness to the proceedings.
This dish can be frozen. Ensure that it is reheated slowly and thoroughly.