By Michelle Shearer
Love me a Cherry Ripe but not that jazzed on the ingredients of the packaged ones. I thought I would have a crack at my own version and see how they might go. It’s a bit of a fiddle but very simple and super satisfying when they’re done.
Makes twelve muffin pan shaped choccy bars.
Ingredients for cherry ripe filling
¾ cup unrefined coconut oil
½ cup cocoa butter
2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
¼ cup maple syrup/agave/honey/rice syrup
one cup dried sour cherries
two tbspns desiccated coconut
Method for Cherry Ripe Filling
In a heavy bottomed saucepan on a low heat, melt coconut oil and coconut butter together.
Combine oil and butter mixture with coconut flakes and your sweetener of choice in a food processor and whizz until super smooth-a few minutes.
Spoon out a good tablespoon of the coconut mixture into each muffin hole and flatten each kound with the back of your spoon. Po in the freezer. Freeze for around 30 minutes while you make your chocolate. After thirty minutes when the coconut/cherry mixture filling has solidified, remove them from the muffin pan using a knife on the edge of them to pop them out. Pop these in the fridge for a mo while you make your chocolate.
Ingredients for Chocolate
Method for Chocolate
- Melt cocoa butter on a nice low heat in a small heavy bottomed pan.
- When the cocoa butter has melted, add the cocoa powder, honey and vanilla essence and mix until lovely and smooth.
- Pour a tablespoon of the chocolate mixture into the bottom of each muffin hole. Place the coconut/cherry fillings on top of the chocolate-y liquid in your muffin hole and gently press down (not too much).
- Divide the rest of your chocolate on top of all fillings; make sure the chocolate runs down the side of each cup so you will have a fully covered bar and freeze for about 1h.
- When they are done I wrapped each in some al-foil and saved in the fridge. The cocoa butter means that they can be kept out of the fridge without melting too badly. But chocolate probably belongs in the fridge at this time of year.
Adapted from here.