Recipe by Maia – MamaBake Lower Blue Mountains’ favourite recipe to swap.
When we interviewed The Lower Blue Mountains MamaBake group recently they told us this was their favourite to cook up and share amongst them. It looks like a delicious whole meal that the kids would love for dinner or for lunch boxes.
1 cup white quinoa, cooked with vege stock
2 cups of basmati rice, cooked with a tspn of turmeric
1 bunch spinach chopped
2 Spanish onions
1/4 butternut pumpkin
3-4 carrots chopped
1 cup parsley roughly chopped
1 bunch chives finely chopped
600g medium tofu mashed up & doused with soy sauce
5 eggs whisked
150g fetta cubed
1/2-1 cup pitted kalamata olives, finely sliced
Salt & soy sauce to taste
Grated cheddar, pepitoes & sunflower kernels for the top
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Cook quinoa & rice separately. Mix& set aside
2. Add olive oil to a medium pan cook onions until they are transparent then add carrot & pumpkin. Cool covered stirring occasionally until vegetables are cooked through & soft
3. In a large bowl mix rice, quinoa, vegetable mix, spinach,herbs, tofu, fetta & olives. At this point (before you mix in the egg) taste the mixture & season with salt & soy sauce as needed.
4. Mix in the egg. Add more egg if the mixture looks too dry.
5. Get a baking dish & coat with olive oil then add the mixture pressing it down with a spoon or spatula until mixture is firmly packed & level with the top of the baking dish. Sprinkle with pepitoes & sunflower kernels then sprinkle cheese. Bake for 30-40 mins or until it is browned on top. Leave it to sit for 5 mins before serving.