Recipe by MamaBaker Kate Bullock
Words by Michelle Shearer
Kate recently posted up her impressive haul on the Facebook page last week. We were all mightily impressed and there were many, many calls for recipes. We begged her and she gave us her permission to share with you her big batch muesli recipe. Hoorah!
This is an excellent swap food for your next MamaBake session – who doesn’t need a jar of breakfast ready to go? Or excellent when you’re on a budget to have cheap and easy breakfast foods ready to go. You could get very creative with this recipe, adding all sorts of other dried fruit and grains, omitting also bits you don’t like.
This recipe makes about 3.5kg and if you look underneath she even has a diabetic version.
2 kg wholegrain oats
500g all bran
1kg dried mixed fruit
1-2 cups honey maple/golden syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
- Preheat your oven to 160 degreesC
- Heat your honey or maple syrup in a small pot on the stove top until it starts to bubble
- On two baking trays evenly spread a layer of oats (you will be doing this three times minimum to do all the oats)
- Pour on a small amount of the honey or maple syrup and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon
- Put both trays in the oven for 5mins
- Take trays out and stir the oats so that they evenly toast and don’t burn
- Put both trays back into the oven for another 5mins
- Take the trays out and pour into a large container (I used a roasting pan as it was the biggest thing I had)
- Mix in one third of your all bran and mixed fruit
- Scoop into airtight containers and store
- Repeat this process for the rest of your ingredients
- Do not use honey or syrup. You can toast the oats plain and they will still taste great!
- Reduce the mixed fruit to 500g
- Add in 500g finely chopped unsalted nuts or seeds (almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc)
- You can toast the nuts/seeds, but you don’t have to!
- You could alternatively add in 500g of unsweetened coconut flakes